Over the last few decades, many local municipalities have mandated guidelines to help manage stormwater runoff. In turn, permeable driveways in Los Angeles are becoming more and more popular.
Driveways with permeable pavers are a big investment, and it’s important that the job is done correctly. Because installing permeable paving driveways is a specialized skill that not all paving companies do, it’s critical that you know what to look for in a paving contractor.
Before starting the search for a paving company, it’s important that you understand what permeable pavers are and the benefits for your Southern California home.
What are Permeable Pavers in Los Angeles?
Traditional paving surfaces do not allow water to run through them, which creates a challenge when dealing with their contribution to stormwater runoff. Permeable pavers make it possible for you to add a paved driveway, patio or other hard surface to your Los Angeles home without creating more impervious areas, which regulations limit on your property.
When permeable pavers are installed on your property, the area is first excavated and then filled with coarse gravel. Next, permeable pavers are laid on top of the base. These pavers have larger gaps between them which are filled with small, pea gravel.
This allows any surface water to travel through the paved area to the water table below versus down to the street and into a storm drain. Essentially, permeable pavers in Los Angeles mimic the way natural land absorbs stormwater.
Some of the biggest benefits of permeable pavers include:
- Reduces erosion
- Lessens downstream flooding
- Filters water back to local groundwater supplies
- Reduces standing water where mosquitoes breed
- Reduces nonpoint source pollutants in stormwater
What to Look for in a Permeable Paving Contractor
When it comes to paving companies in Los Angeles, there are plenty of options to choose from. Many companies claim to be the best at what they do, which makes it even more difficult to find one that really meets this standard.
A new driveway with permeable pavers is a big investment on your end, and you should have peace of mind knowing that the company you choose will exceed your expectations. Installing a driveway with permeable pavers isn’t a skill that every company knows how to do, so it’s critical that you find a contractor with this unique skill set.
Here are some things to look for when hiring a contractor for your permeable paving project in Southern California:
- Valid and verified contractor’s license
- Proof of liability insurance of at least $2 million
- Workers compensation insurance for all team members
- Paving stone industry association memberships and certified installers (such as ICPI)
- Excellent online reviews on sites such as Angie’s List, Yelp, Better Business Bureau, Google+ and more.
- Client testimonials
- Portfolio of completed permeable paving projects
Questions to Ask Your Contractor
Finding the right permeable paving contractor in Southern California may not be as easy as one may assume. It’s worth it to spend some time investigating different companies to ensure you’ll get the most out of your investment.
When talking to potential companies, here are a few important questions to ask:
- Can you provide me proof of a contractor’s license in your company’s name?
- Can you provide me with proof of general liability insurance in your company’s name?
- Do you use your own, employed installation crews? Or do you subcontract?
- Can you give me referrals where I can see projects that you’ve completed?
- Can you please give me your Better Business Bureau number and direct me to places to read reviews of your company, such as Angie’s List and Yelp?
How Pacific Pavingstone Compares to Other Contractors
Although there are many similarities between our company and other contractors in Southern California, there are also some notable differences. These differences affect your experience and the end product.
Our range of services not only includes permeable paver driveway installation but also other complementary outdoor improvements. The majority of paving stone installations are enhanced by creating or renovating a nearby landscape to help bring the design together.
Some other contractors in our area don’t offer these solutions. If you use a company that only does permeable paver installations, you may have a more complicated (and less cohesive) experience.
Additionally, we pride ourselves on the fact that all of our work is done in-house by teams that are continuously learning to the best in their niche. We’re dedicated to 100% satisfaction, and we never subcontract our workers.
At Pacific Pavingstone, we offer a full suite of in-house design-build services. Whether you’re looking for permeable pavers or traditional paving stones, we’d love to help you with your next project. Contact us today for a free consultation!